Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Forever Young

Lythan challenged her readers to dig back into the depths of their minds and blog about their earliest memories. I have a pretty good long-term memory and can remember lots about my childhood, such as holidays with my family - pouring soapy water on the ground to encourage worms to come to the surface for my grandad to fish with, finding an injured pigeon while on holiday at Freshwater East, watching the Mexico World Cup and Bet Lynch going up in flames (not together, I hasten to add!) while on holiday in Salcombe in 1986....

I have very fond memories of the garden in my parents' old house. We moved when I was just 5, so I was very young. I remember sitting on the swing, going higher and higher and feeling like I was going to fly over the roof of the house! I remember making 'mixtures' with my friend Pauline, using dirt, lilac blossoms and anything else we could find to put in our plastic saucepans. I vividly remember trying to impress the older boy next door and his mates (remember, I was under 5!) by tying a poor worm in a knot - they were suitably grossed out! I remember the day I moved house, going to school from one place and going home to the new house and realising that the boy who had put his hand up in assembly that day to answer a question was now my next door neighbour. We were partners in crime for a few years after and I remember the time he threw up over a book I had just made.... I remember the day my best friend A moved to our road and started our school and we've been best buds ever since.

I could go on and on and on - I love reminiscing! However, I won't, as you're probably all asleep already! I have thought of a challenge of my own though:

You know that feeling you get when you swing on the swings, or when you go over a humpback bridge in the car a bit too fast, or the big drop on a rollercoaster? Well, when I was 3 or 4, I called this the 'gungles' - I still use it now. Have you ever 'invented' a word, or do you use odd words for things? Blog it and post a comment to let me know!

3 comments:

Jane said...

lovely stories Kel, really enjoyed reading them

Lythan said...

Oooh thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

awww Kel what fab memories and such a fabby photo - what a cutie!