Friday, September 22, 2006

Crying in the Rain

The title of this post is one of my favourite a-ha songs (along with Manhattan Skyline) and I'm listening to it now - good ole Napster.  I just love a-ha! Plus, it's been a bloody miserable afternoon here, so it just seemed appropriate.

Anyway, to the point of my post.  I'm afraid I'm having job wobbles again.  I know, I know..!  I have a great job really.  I've made it to a senior position from being a temp in about 6 months, I get a fairly decent wage for the kind of job it is (although compared to the so-called 'national average wage' I'm so far behind I wouldn't even catch up in a super-fast car with go faster stripes.)  I love, love, LOVE the kids I look after and they never fail to cheer me up if I'm down. Most of the people I work with are fab and we can have a good laugh, but not with all of them.  And that is the problem, I think.

*Rant alert!! - Please ignore if you don't like whinging!*

I am utterly fed up with the bitching and back-stabbing that is going on between certain people lately.  I know that there is always a certain amount of this from time to time no matter where you work, especially if it's all girls together. But, FOR F***'S SAKE LADIES!!!  I must admit, I think the management have made a couple of questionable appointments recently and there are staff who aren't as good at their job as they think they are (or should be), but it feels as though everyone is trying to get everyone else into trouble, outdo each other and generally act like pains in the arse.  I'm finding it very difficult to ignore, or even to intervene, as I think that as I work with them, I'm too closely involved, as opposed to the manager and deputy.  Gah!  I hate this seniority malarkey.  I just don't know if I'm ready to take over the deputy role in January when the manager goes on maternity leave...

The other problem I have is the travelling.  It's just so flippin' far to go each day.  I wouldn't mind if there was no other traffic on the roads, but sitting in a jam for 15 minutes when you're just a mile-or-so from your house is no fun.  Every day.  It just seems daft when there are plenty of nurseries so much closer to home.  I am just so petrified of interviews that I think I'm better off staying where I am.  I mean, if I have to have an interview, they'll find out I'm a fraud!  I know I can do the job - and do it bloody well - but in a 'question and answer' scenario, I know I'll get all flummoxed and tongue-tied and cock it up for myself.

I'm sorry!  If you're still reading this, you deserve a medal - or carting off in the van with the men in the white coats...  I just needed to get it off my chest really.  D just says "whatever you want to do, darling, you know I'll support you".  Which is lovely, but not altogether very helpful!  Bless him.

And Jane - you know you wanted more regular blogging?  Well, are you sure, if this is all I can manage?

7 comments:

BondGirl said...

Sorry to hear your job is getting you down. There is nothing worse than women bitching about each other in the work place

As for letting yourself down in the interview stage - They obviously know you can do the job as you wouldnt have got to where you are now in such a short space of time - or even to be considering you for the position.

Sending you hugs and confidence vibes

Kelly K said...

Thanks hun x. I know I'm stepping up to the deputy job - it's interviews for a completely new job I can't face, should this place drive me away :-(

Sue said...

I am claiming my medal..I really feel for you and it sounds PANTS...I am sure you will decide what to do for the best

I am ALWAYS stunned by your lack of confidence I think you are bubbly and funny and appear very confident

Hugs and love from me...wish I had some fabby advisa.....crap at this

xxxxxxxxxx

Paula said...

It's a shame the back stabbing is getting you down - women are the worst!

Could you bike to work or get a moped or something similar?

Maybe the deputy job will give you the experience on paper to go for another job regardless of your performance in the interview?

Anonymous said...

Aww Kel :( That sort of bitchy stuff does my head in too.

You're so friendy, bubbly and easy to talk to and I know you're not a fraud because kids have a habit of recognising people like that ;) Take care (hug)

Rachel said...

Awwwwwwwww Kel sorry to hear about your job wobbles hun, hows things now?

Sending you a ((((((hhhhuuuuuggggg))))) and just to say, I think your a lovely, warm, friendly, funny, caring and considerate "young" lady, and Im honoured to know you x ps and I would love you to be closer to me so you could look after my babies xx

Carolyn said...

aww Kel - that is a pain having to deal withthat type of thing rather than just dealing with the job.

Can't offer advice other than echo what everyone else has said.