Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Heat Is On

Phew! Bloody hell it's hot! I am so crap in the heat - unless I'm lying in some shade, next to a gorgeous azure swimming pool that I can just dip in whenever I feel the need.... I so need to take the buns out for a run, but it's even too warm in the evening as our garden gets the sun all day. I have put out a bottle of frozen water for them to lie against, but they're just eying it suspiciously and don't really know what to do with it...

I've just come back from the doctor's. Not been for quite a while and keep forgetting that I haven't yet changed my name since getting married and that I still live with my parents *oops!* For about two years now, I've had a clicky jaw. I first noticed it when I was eating anything particularly chewy and occasionally it would lock and I'd have to punch myself to get it back to normal (how weird did that look?!). Anyhoo, it's been getting worse and worse and over the last couple of months it's become unbearable - clicking all of the time, whether I'm talking, eating or just breathing. It locks regularly and this is very embarrassing if I'm eating in front of others and my mouth only opens slightly, thwarting the chances of that big forkful from entering! And the noise the clicking makes is just horrendous! I thought it was just loud as it was next to my ear, but apparently everyone else can hear it too.

So, I've done a bit of research and I reckon it could be temporomandibular joint disorder. Yeah, try saying that if you have it! I wondered if there was anything the doctor could do, or whether I would need to see a dentist - I don't have one, as they are too expensive, but that's a whole other story! I tell her what's wrong, she puts her hands either side of my jaw and I demonstrate... Her eyes nearly pop out and she made a sort of "eeeuuurrch!" noise. She said it's the worst case she's seen (and heard!) and that I should be referred to the maxillofacial people at the Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham, if I would like? Er, yes please! "They may want to operate," she says. "I can't live with this anymore," I reply.

So, there will be a referral letter winging it's way to my parents' house sometime soon, I hope. Glad I went now... I think!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Jeepers Kel! Sounds horrible, so hope the hospital can sort it out or you. Eating a Yorkie Bar must be hard!
As for Doctors - I didn't change mine when we moved to a different town! I liked ours and as we always planned to come back here we didn't want to have problems registering with the same one. If I did need to see him (and I avoid them whenever possible) I just used my old address!

Rachel said...

awww Kel this sounds awful for you - hope they get you sorted soon hun x